Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Watching For Foxes

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Benjamin Franklin


“When we’re still learning, we call it practice.”

Laurie 2.0


This post departs from a bit from the previous ones, but it's important in your process of re-versioning.

This is a meditation about pain.

How do people change? In nature, we ask, “How does change happen?” and consider it a natural tendency of the physical world. But since we’re “conscious, intelligent beings with free will,” we ask, “How do I change?”

I’m thinking the two are not unrelated, since we are nature and the physical world. And our change – the change of any sentient being – is sparked by an experience, an interaction, with the Real World Out There.

For example – my darling horse, DJ. Like most horses – wait a minute, like me, too – he is a creature of habit. 9 am: I whistle “meal time,” and he neighs “Good, I’m starved!” After breakfast, it’s out to the fields to Kaffee Klatch with the neighboring horses. Then – yikes, 11 am! – time to come in for “elevenses” and a drink. And since the water tank is right by the shelter, well, a little nap is a good idea in the heat of the day/cold of the morning. Then, 1 pm, time for a little something out in the field. By 6 pm he’s watching for my truck to come home, listening for the whistle, ready to neigh for dinner and literally run in: hay and crunchies. And every time he goes through his routine, he walks/runs along the same little pathways he’s created in the middle of the field. You can see them.

That’s his life. It’s a good one. It’s always the same.

Until it’s not.

What makes it change?

- A fox leaps out of a clump o’ grass during his morning walk to his elevenses. Presto, he starts a new path away from that clump – forever.
- I come out one day in the early afternoon. Shoot! Riding time! He ignores my calls at first, but eventually a resigned horse wanders in from the field.
- The neighbors ride their horses around behind our house. Yoikes! He runs out to the fields, races back, snorts, throws his tail over his back – what the heck is going on over there!?!?!

And he’s ever after different.

We’re the same way. We think we’re “in charge” of change, but really we just practice our stuff trying to get better and better until “better” doesn’t cut it anymore. All of our neighbors find our secret “back way” to the highway, and it’s too crowded to use. There’s no more surprises at work. Our mate stops listening to our excited rants about new ideas – wait a minute, we have no more excited rants about new ideas.

In short: our “practice” becomes “insanity.”

We start to feel pain.

Now for DJ, “ pain” usually means “surprise.” He doesn’t like those. He likes a nice, safe, predictable world where his hay and his naps and his crunchies all appear on time, safely, and comfortably.

All of us are like that. Only each of our definitions of “on time, safely, and comfortably” is different. So each of our definitions of “pain” is different.

Contrary to our “natural” reaction, pain is a good thing. Welcome pain: it’s the catalyst for change. It will transform you out of the world of “insanity” into the world of a new practice, a new way of being comfortable in the world. Pain is not the “necessary evil” – pain is a message from our un/subconscious bodies to our conscious/emotional/mental ones. Pain says, “Don’t do that.” Pain says, “Do it differently.” Pain says, “Try something else.”

Sometimes, it takes a while for us to recognize conscious/emotional/mental pain. Because sometimes it’s not as obvious as a fox spurting out of a clump of grass. It sneaks up on us – and we say, oh that’s ok, that’s not really pain, I’m just out of sorts today, I ate a bad apple at lunch, I’m getting a cold, my back hurts, my boss is a nut… In fact, all of those things are the fox leaping out of the bushes – the beginnings of the message from our un/subconscious selves to the top of the stack: time to change.

So watch for the foxes – even the little ones. Does it mean that, the second you feel a cringe of “something’s not right,” you drop everything? Burn the house, sell the horse and move to France? (my favorite escape fantasy) Of course not. But it does mean paying attention: Hey. There’s a fox jumping out of the bushes. There’s people and horses running over there. I wonder what that’s about? I think it’s time I go check it out.

This is a meditation about pain. Pain is a message. Listen. Accept. Explore. And trust that your instincts will keep you safe in the long run.

And you can begin to “practice” something else.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Laurie!

A few years ago, I found that it was time to exchange myself. Well, in fact I didn’t really change anything but maybe this kind of insanity was needed to create enough inertia to make things move. Pain; in some ways even auto-aggressiveness, rose to a level where some subtle voice whispered “Change this. You don’t want yourself in this treadmill-like circle again and again.

Lucky as I am, love was the answer – thanks, Hanna.

At the moment, we are separated by some thousand kilometers of distance and we still have to solve some of our very personal and relationship legacy-issues. Pretty tough times, nevertheless there is a lot of passion, enthusiasm and mutual trust. Not to forget: love.

Which brings me back to your blog – thank you for your thoughts and inspiration, I’ll take them as another important part of this journey into something new. Going to keep up to date…

Wolf-Dieter, reloaded..

Anonymous said...

juIt is quite interesting reading your blog(I was directed there from Tom Peters' blog) and how you so aptly related pain with change. its funny because I just facilitated a session on managing internal change and external change. Even though I never used the word pain explicitly, I used other terms such as challenges, ups & downs, disturbances, difficulties. All in a bit to explain what one encounters in leaving an "as-is" state and transitiong to the utopian "to-be". Next time I will remember to simplify it and just use the word pain!

Another funny (actually unfunny) thing is I am experiencing several changes in my personal life - trying to find a new church, a new career, "loneliness of singlehood", moving away from home and staying on my own all happening at the same time. I think the kind of pain I am experiencing now is Numbness!

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you are right on the money with this post! Pain is a Teacher. Work through the pain/Learn the Lesson and the pain goes away. On to the next lesson and the next pain. That is how Karma works.

As a person also on a path of self-improvement for the last couple of years, I must thank you for starting this blog. I think it's fabulous and I plan to check in often.

Gayle

Laurie 2.0 said...

Dear Wolf-Dieter, Tee Jay, Gayle, and others commenting on this blog:

Thank you so much for your kind words -- and I am humbled to be an inspiration for you as you change. I hope I can continue to do so through Re-Versioning.

Friends, if you want to send me a comment and don't want it published for personal reasons, please let me know -- I would be happy to simply respond in the comments section to you alone.

Laurie 2.0

Laurie 2.0 said...

Tee Jay,

When I go numb, I find I'm simply taking on too many things at once. No matter what you've read about "multi-tasking," it doesn't work. At least, you can't do more than one thing at a time well. And re-versioning yourself needs your complete attention.

I recently found myself in the same numb state, and decided I had to prioritize a bit. And "fun" was the first priority. It really helped to do at least one thing I really loved or believed in every day -- even it if didn't seem to help you "progress" towards a goal. Trust your heart -- and do the things that mean the most to you, first.

Good luck, and let me know how you are doing.

Laurie 2.0

Anonymous said...

Just a quick comment regarding that multi-tasking numbness.

As part of my path, I've stumbled upon the writings of Vietnam Buddhist Monk Thich Naht Hahn (Thay). He is all about Mindfulness.

This year I am focusing on Mindfulness and the key is to Slow Down. It seems impossible, but it really is not, and it becomes habit after a bit.

I highly recommend Thay's book, "Peace is Every Step". Very easy to read, it will show how everything we do can be a meditation.

Peace to all,
Gayle

Laurie 2.0 said...

Thich Nhat Hahn is a wonderful entrance into Buddhist thought and practice. Check out his website at www.plumvillage.org. I also recommend Shunryu Suzuki's "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind," a book of mediations for practice that I've read (and then re-read) for over 25 years.

For a more intellectual introduction to Zen Buddhism, you can't miss with the works of D.T. Suzuki, including "An Introduction To Buddhism" and "Zen and Japanese Culture." And for a fun and enlightening intro, there's my original entrance into Zen Buddhism: "Zen and the Art of Motocycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. Try www.powells.com to get a copy.

Laura said...

Dear Laurie 2.0,
thanks for all you interesting articles. I love your blog!
Greetings. Laura

Laurie 2.0 said...

Thanks, Laura. I'm glad it's helpful -- let me know if you take any actions in your life because of it. Laurie

 
Add to Technorati Favorites